Leonard I. Frieling, P.C.
Criminal Defense Attorney
1942 Broadway #314, Boulder, Colorado 80302
(303) 666-4064 direct and cells
Office appointments in Lafayette, and all other meetings by appointment
Lenny Frieling has been practicing criminal defense law in Colorado since 1976.
His practice is limited to criminal defense including allegations or charges related to: drug cases, driving cases, assaults; weapons violations, domestic violence, and more. As of 3/7/2012, Lenny is serving, by invitation, as Director for Colorado NORML, assisting in the reorganization of and re-activation of Colorado NORML.
Lenny is admitted to practice in the Courts of the State of Colorado, the Federal District and Circuit Courts in the 10th Circuit, and as of October of 2006, to the United States Supreme Court. He is Of Counsel to Imhoff & Associates based in Santa Monica, California. He is also the Colorado Resident Counsel to the firm. Lenny has been honored by being selected for the 2011 Colorado Super Lawyers, as well as being accepted as a member of the NCDD (National College for DUI Defense).
Not only is Lenny a lawyer, he has played a lawyer on TV. For the FOX TV season which began August 27, 2001, Lenny was one of the featured attorneys on the FOX network show “Power of Attorney”
The show has run its course, after giving the honor of being featured in Power of Attorney shows (amongst others) on 10/31/2001, 11/22/2001, 12/21/2001, and 1/4/2002, (first shows) and 11/15/2001, second show. Not all markets pick up the second show. Another Hollywood gig (it was seriously fun, limousines, first class air, professional makeup, camera, and the rest. I did make it to the "short list" for the "Judge Lenny Show," which ended up on the shelf of the Producer's office, and (true to Seinfeld) recently received four checks for $2.56 each when my Power of Attorney shows were re-run on cable! I'm not quitting my day job, which I truly love).
A radio interview with Scotty Reid on Black Talk Blog was done live on 2/15/2012, and is available as an MP3 or for streaming Lenny presented a tele class for the Cannabis Therapy Institute on DUI Marijuana, (available for $4.20 at their website, approximately 50 minutes) did an interview for Westword, and did an interview for KHEN Radio (also podcast), and an interview for KGNU, Boulder, which should be available on their website by the end of the week of January 23, 2012. An invitation to return to the University of Colorado to give a guest lecture in April of 2012 has just been received and accepted.
I had a regular column in the RAP SHEET, the publication of the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, for several years, and regularly publish articles on legal topics as well as on computer and Internet topics. I worked as co-editor, with Judge Morris Hoffman, for the Colorado Lawyer criminal law articles for over five years. He recently "retired" from that position to permit some extra time to go back to writing articles.
Published articles include:
Most recent: The Colorado Lawyer, “Overview of Medical Marijuana in Colorado” April 2011, Colorado Bar Association
My resources-links page, which is constantly being updated, corrected, improved, and hopefully used.
1. Email E-tiquette; a multi-part series being published in the Docket, Denver Bar Association.
2. "How to Stay Married" to an attorney was just published in March, 2005, in The Docket, a publication of the Denver Bar Association.
3. Scientific and Other Expert Testimony, Daubert, Kumho Tire Co., and Colorado Rules of Evidence 702 and 403. (The Rap Sheet)
4. E Mail Etiquette: making E mail mean "effective mail." (Colorado Lawyer)
5. Courtroom Etiquette (Colorado Lawyer)
6. Firearm Rights and Criminal Defense (The Rap Sheet)
7. Alcohol Related Driving Offenses: Some Basics
8. The Federal Aviation Administration and Your Client (co-authored with J. Scott Hamilton)
9. The Dilemma of the [child abuse] Reporting Statute
10. Tuberculosis in the Prison System
11. Our Finite and Boundless Universe is a brief commentary on, and supplement to Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time. My piece was used in at least several physics classes at the University of Colorado, Boulder Campus, as supplementary reading material. It may still be in use.
12. Lenny Frieling's list of suggested great books. I read a huge amount, and have strong opinions on what I like and on what I don't like. I have tried to put together a list of guaranteed great books covering topics from funny to physics. (In the case of Richard Feynman, physics CAN be funny!
Topics have included
May 2011, Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, “Prosecutorial Ethics” followed by “Advanced Cannabis Motions.”
Panel, NORML National Conference, Denver, April 2011, “Police Encounters.”
University Of Colorado, Boulder, LEAP presentation on the failure of the “war on drugs.” March, 2011
1. Lorman CLE, Search and Seizure Law update and trends, December 2008
2. Colorado Bar Association, October 2008, Criminal Forensics, "The Language of Forensics" including an introduction to dimensional analysis.
3. Colorado Bar Association, March 2008, Criminal Law Update, (program chair and presnter).
4. Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, March, 2008, presenter at their Spring Conference, Lawrence, Kansas
5. Colorado Bar Association, February 2007, DUI Motions Practice. I assisted in designing the entire program on DUI law.
6. NORML, June, 2006, Aspen, Colorado, (ethics and investigation) and December 2006, Key West, Florida, (Advanced Motions Practice) and am truly honored.
7. CLE International (July 15, 2005) Advanced DUI Motions
8. Various police agencies, "mountain" counties, How to Write A Search Warrant"
9. Denver University School of Law, criminal law clinic. Lectures on negotiation techniques and strategy last year, and this year, criminal defense ethical considerations.
10. 3rd Annual Public Defender Las Vegas Retreat to a National audience in Nevada, March 28-30, 2003. "How to Win Every Case." March, 2004, 4th Annual Public Defender Retreat, on General Criminal Legal Ethics as well as on Sentencing Techniques and Ethics.
11. 2d Annual Public Defender Retreat, Las Vegas, "Effective Negotiating Techniques, or "How to Win Every Case Every Time."
12. Ethical Handling of Evidence by the Criminal Defense Attorney, or "What to do with the smoking gun." (Scheduled to present this topic again in December, 2003, for Continuing Legal Education of Colorado.
13. Sex Assault Post Conviction Remedies; A Creative New Approach
14. Internet investigative tools for death penalty investigators, and paralegals
15. How To Win Every Case (sponsored by the Boulder County Bar Association)
16. Child Sex Assault Allegations in the Divorce Context (sponsored by the Interdisciplinary Committee on Child Custody)
17. On Demand legal consultant for the Boulder Daily Camera on a variety of topics
18. Domestic Violence Restraining Orders and No Contact Orders: The Criminal Defense Perspective (summer, 1999, Glenwood Springs 9th Judicial District)
19. "Gadgets" For The Computer and Law Office for the Colorado Bar Association Solo Practice Committee.
20. Internet Investigation Tools for the Defense Attorney, December 2000 in Key West, invited by the NORML Legal Committee.
21. Use of Fairy Tales in the Treatment of Incest Victims, 1988, Amsterdam (presentation by invitation)
22. Driving Under the Influence of Cannabis, Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, 2011 DUI conference, Keystone, Colorado